Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Birthday cake

Hello -yes it's another Birthday post too many things to put in one post so I thought I would break it up abit....

Anyway-- due to family drama (tell me does your family have dramas right around special events ? well mine do ...and this is just another day in The Old Fat Hen's life....) my nieces 1st birthday party was about to be called off.

My sister Gail (she is little Chloe's Nana ) said "no way  this party is still going ahead too much has already been done just to cancel it like that " She rang me and between us we worked out who will do what....

Gail was going to do the adult food and I would do the kids food.No problem I was doing that anyway then the BOMBSHELL hit."can you do the birthday cake" I said yeah no problem"
inside I said  #%*! this was on Wednesday night.I had Thursday (but I had school orientation day with the LM-Friday was the wedding and Saturday was the day for cup cakes etc...#%*! what was I going to do????

So on Saturday evening (long story Kev flattened the battery in the car so I had to wait for him to come home ) I went to Woolies to check out what to do.
At this stage I still hadn't worked it out.....

So I thought I would do an Ombre Cake in pinks.....sounds OK but I have never made one I have only seen pictures   HELP......

I used to make  Wedding cakes around 26years ago this should be easy NOT!!!!

So I......

Step 1-  bought two sponge and cream cakes from Woolworth's.

Step 2- put a bit of icing on them to stick them together.

Step 3- I used white icing  lightly to cover the cake with sort of filling in the "holes"..

Step 4-Now remember this was all off the top of my head from looking at a few photo's I started piping roses around the base in a deep pink....
This was the second time photo-first time I used the wrong tube and had to wipe it all off change tube refill with icing and have another go......

Step 5-Using a lighter pink on goes the second layer of roses......not bad but don't say that out loud you know that anything can and will happen.....

Step 6- Final row of white rose piped on sides and then on top of cake and OMG she is done......

Final step put a few little edible Butterfly's on cake (I bought these from Sugar Robot an Etsy shop online.) Sprinkle on some  Sanding Sugar  from Spotlight and Da DA Da all done thank christ.(oops so sorry ....

Put cake in fridge went to bed .....couldn't find a container to put it in so we left it on the floor of the car but the sun was coming in pretty hard and she started to melt (the piped roses.So I got my skirt that i was wearing and hooked it into the glove box-Instant sun shade.

The cake arrived in once piece and I arrived pretty frazzled ha ha  but Gail Kev and I oh and Gail's "friend" Clive just got into it and set it all up.Ended up looking great.Just right for a littl girls party should.

Everyone commented on the cake they didn't take notice of how my poor roses had started to melt.No they just enjoyed the day and so did I...

Moral of the story -next time someone invites me to a party I am going to RUN FOREST RUN ha ha ha.

4 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. I got the stickers a Belrose Spotlight. Good luck.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am ever so grateful. Because of you when Chloe is older she can look at the photos and know she had a beautiful party. She'll also be told the story of her great aunts skirt protecting her cake. P.s... I did notice a few spots of icing on your skirt

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am ever so grateful. Because of you when Chloe is older she can look at the photos and know she had a beautiful party. She'll also be told the story of her great aunts skirt protecting her cake. P.s... I did notice a few spots of icing on your skirt

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake turned out lovely, and I'm sure the party was a great hit with everyone. Sorry I wasn't there to help celebrate Chloe's 1st Birthday.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and would like to Thank you for taking the time to leave them.
Love
Dee x